Class 3 Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
This term, due to schools closing during the lockdown period, it is vital that children focus on the fundamental learning skills of reading, spelling, number and times-tables recall.
Practising these key skills will help the children to succeed and flourish. If we can focus on these key skills, all other areas of their education will see the benefit. Please see the activities outlined below, which can be used as homework activities this term. An optional enrichment activity can be found weekly, at the bottom of the page if you would like to extend your child’s home learning.
Activities for Reading
- At least 10 minutes of daily reading of their school book (this should be recorded in their homework diary).
- Discuss the text your child is reading, questioning their understanding. Advice on how to read effectively with your child can be found here: https://www.pearson.com/content/dam/one-dot-com/one-dot-com/uk/documents/Learner/Primary/Primary%20parents/Pearson_EnjoyReading_03.pdf
- Access Bug Club online, and answer the variety of interactive questions based on the eBook they are reading.
Activities for Spelling
- Practise your child’s weekly spelling list, which can be found on the spelling section of your child’s class page, on the school website.
- Practise the Year 4 Statutory spelling list, which can be found on page 100 in the school homework diary.
- Use the Spelling Shed app weekly to encourage your child to practise at home through the fun games available.
- Practise your child’s weekly spellings both verbally and in written forms.
Activities for Maths
- Use the Doodlemaths app weekly to encourage your child to practise the key skills in numeracy.
- Use the Doodletables app which is a fantastic online tool that children can use to practise and learn their times tables up to 12 x 12.
- Use Education City and find a game based on a topic your child is unsure of, or have worked on in class that week to build on their understanding.
- In addition to this, under the ‘Maths’ section of the Education City site, there is a ‘Times Tables’ tab which contains songs and games your child can play to improve their times tables knowledge.
- We would like to make you aware that all Year 4 children will have their multiplication skills formally tested in the summer term of Year 4 from 2021. Have a trial yourself on https://www.timestables.co.uk/speed-test/ to experience what the test will be like for your child.
To prepare for this test we use Multiplication Olympics in class. More information can be found on our ‘About Class 3 Page’ with sheets that the children can use at home to practise. These would be great to use for homework!
Homework 11/06/21 - 18/06/21
Access Doodletables at home and practise your times tables. Practise the following timestable dependent on what Multiplication Olympic Level you are working on:
Finalist Level - 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
Bronze Level - 3 & 4 times tables.
Silver Level - 6 & 8 times tables.
Gold Level - 7 & 9 times table.
European Level - 11 & 12 times table.
Olympic Level & above - Practise all of your times tables- can you lock them all?
Next week in English we will revist using Speech Marks in our writing. Look at the image below to remind yourself about how we use them in our writing.
Now rewrite each sentence below, adding speech marks in the correct places. Use the guide above to help you add in capital letters and commas where they are needed.
- Please remember to read for 10 minutes each day and get this signed in your diary.
- Practise your weekly spellings that can be found on our spelling page. You can practise these at home using your own methods or Spelling Shed.