This term, due to schools closing during the lockdown period, it is vital that children focus on the fundamental learning skills of reading, spelling and number.
Practising these key skills will help the children to succeed and flourish. If we can focus on these key skills, all other areas of their education will see the benefit. Please see the activities outlined below, which can be used as homework activities this term. An optional enrichment activity can be found weekly, at the bottom of the page if you would like to extend your child’s home learning.
Activities for Reading
- At least 10 minutes of daily reading of their school book (this should be recorded in their homework diary). Please note, our expectations are not that the children's books should be changed 3 times a week. For depth of understanding and increased fluency, we actively encourage you to re-read a book several times. However, the option is there should you wish, to have your child's reading book changed on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday. Please sign their Home School Diary to confirm they are ready for a new book.
- Discuss the text your child is reading, questioning their understanding. Advice on how to read effectively with your child can be found here: https://www.pearson.com/content/dam/one-dot-com/one-dot-com/uk/documents/Learner/Primary/Primary%20parents/Pearson_EnjoyReading_03.pdf
- Access Bug Club online, and answer the variety of interactive questions based on the eBook they are reading.
Activities for Spelling
- Practise your child’s weekly spelling list, which can be found on the spelling section of your child’s class page, on the school website.
- Practise the Year 2 Statutory spelling list, which can be found on page 100 in the school homework diary.
- Use the Spelling Shed app weekly to encourage your child to practise at home through the fun games available.
- Practise your child’s weekly spellings both verbally and in written forms.
Activities for Maths
- Use the Doodlemaths app weekly to encourage your child to practise the key skills in numeracy.
- Use Education City and find a game based on a topic your child is unsure of, or have worked on in class that week to build on their understanding.
Homework for week ending 11.6.21
Please find attached homework for this week. Please do not worry if you cannot print this out, just complete task on a sheet of paper.
Class 2 Homework 11.6.21
Year 2 - Education city. Telling the time to the nearest 5 minutes
Year 1 - Education city Position and direction