Due to schools closing during the lockdown periods, it is vital that children focus on the fundamental skills of reading, spelling and number. Practising these key skills will help the children to succeed and flourish. If we can focus on these key skills, all other areas of their education will see the benefit. Please see the activities outlined below, which can be used as homework activities this term. An optional enrichment activity can be found weekly, at the bottom of the page if you would like to extend your child’s home learning.
Activities for Reading
- At least 10 minutes of daily reading of their school books (this should be recorded in their homework diary. For depth of understanding and increased fluency, we actively encourage you to re-read a book several times. However, the option is there should you wish, to have your child's reading book changed on a Friday. Please sign the Home School Diary to confirm you are ready for new books to be sent home.
- Discuss the text your child is reading, questioning their understanding. Advice on how to read effectively with your child can be found here: https://www.pearson.com/content/dam/one-dot-com/one-dot-com/uk/documents/Learner/Primary/Primary%20parents/Pearson_EnjoyReading_03.pdf
- Access Bug Club online, and answer the variety of interactive questions based on the eBook they are reading.
Activities for Spelling
- Practise your child’s weekly spelling list, which can be found in the Monster Phonics spelling book.
- Practise the Year 2 Statutory spelling list, which can be found on page 100 in the school homework diary.
- Practise your child’s weekly spellings both verbally and in written forms.
Activities for Maths
- Use the Doodlemaths app weekly to encourage your child to practise the key skills in numeracy.
- Use Education City and find a game based on a topic your child is unsure of or have worked on in class that week to build on their understanding.
Class 2 Homework Autumn Term
A Maths and English activity will be set each week on the EducationCity website. Please see letter in book bag for login details and information on how to access the homework set. Homework will be set on a Monday and will need to be completed by the following Monday.